
AndrewLozovyi / Depositphotos.com
Nova Scotia’s school lunch program is entering its second year with major changes — and families can start placing orders today, Friday, August 29.
The program, which served more than 4.7 million lunches in its first year, is expanding beyond elementary schools to include all middle and junior high schools this fall.
More than 104,000 students in 334 schools will now have access to daily meals starting September 8.
The lunches are provided on a pay-what-you-can basis, with a maximum price of $6.50 per meal. Families who cannot afford to pay the full amount can still access the program, ensuring no student goes without lunch.
Ordering for the first two weeks (September 8–19) is now open at nslunch.ca. Families must use a My NS Account to sign in, and the ordering window runs from Friday until Wednesday at noon each week.
Based on feedback from families and schools, the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development says several improvements are being introduced this fall:
-
New menu options tested and approved by students
-
More sustainable packaging
-
Streamlined online ordering
-
Improved delivery and service
“Students are focused on learning when they’re not worrying about food,” said Education Minister Brendan Maguire. “We’re making life easier for families while improving access to healthy meals across the province.”
Last year, schools across Halifax served nearly two million lunches, with cheese pizza being the most popular with over 390,000 orders.
West Bedford School served the most meals overall, while Pleasant Bay School in Inverness County had the highest participation rate, with 80 percent of students regularly taking part.